Align octavia API With Neutron LBaaS API¶
For the octavia API to truly be standalone, it needs to have capability parity with Neutron LBaaS’s API. Neutron LBaaS has the luxury of piggy-backing off of Neutron’s API. This gives Neutron LBaaS’s API resources many capabilities for free. This document is meant to enumerate those capabilities that the octavia API does not possess at the time of this writing.
Complete the tasks enumerated in the Work Items section
- Do nothing and keep the status quo
Data model impact¶
There will be some minor data model changes to octavia in support of this change.
REST API impact¶
This change will have significant impact to the octavia API.
This change will improve octavia security by adding keystone authentication.
No expected change.
Other end user impact¶
Users will be able to use the new octavia API endpoint for LBaaS.
This change may slightly improve performance by reducing the number of software layers requests will traverse before responding to the request.
Other deployer impact¶
Over time the neutron-lbaas package will be deprecated and deployers will only require octavia for LBaaS.
This will simplify LBaaS development by reducing the number of databases as well as repositories that require updating for LBaaS enhancements.
blogan diltram johnsom rm_you dougwig
Implement the following API Capabilities:
- Keystone Authentication
- Policy Engine
- Filtering lists by query parameter
- Fields by query parameter
- Add the same root API endpoints as n-lbaas
- Support “provider” option in the API to select a driver to spin up a load balancer.
- API Handler layer to become the same as n-lbaas driver layer and allow multiple handlers/drivers.
- Neutron LBaaS V2 driver to octavia API Handler shim layer
Implement the following additional features that n-lbaas maintains:
- OSC extension via a new repository ‘python-octaviaclient’
Other Features to be Considered:
- Notifications for resource creating, updating, and deleting.
- Agent namespace driver or some lightweight functional driver.
- Testing octavia with all of the above
- REST API Microversioning
Api tests from neutron-lbaas will be used to validate the new octavia API.
The octavia api reference will need to be updated.