Welcome to Cinder’s developer documentation!¶
Cinder is an OpenStack project to provide “block storage as a service”.
- Component based architecture: Quickly add new behaviors
- Highly available: Scale to very serious workloads
- Fault-Tolerant: Isolated processes avoid cascading failures
- Recoverable: Failures should be easy to diagnose, debug, and rectify
- Open Standards: Be a reference implementation for a community-driven api
This documentation is generated by the Sphinx toolkit and lives in the source tree. Additional draft and project documentation on Cinder and other components of OpenStack can be found on the OpenStack wiki. Cloud administrators, refer to docs.openstack.org.
Cinder maintains drivers for volume backends, backup targets, and fibre channel zone manager fabric types. The list of the available drivers can be found here: