Team activities with release¶
This page documents what I18n team concerns and which things are needed to do with OpenStack releases. Each OpenStack release has around 6-month cycle and the corresponding schedule is available on https://releases.openstack.org/ (e.g., https://releases.openstack.org/ocata/schedule.html describes Ocata release schedule).
One of main goals in I18n team is to incorporate translated strings into a new release so that more global users experience translated version of OpenStack. To accomplish this goal, some of team activities need to be aligned with a release schedule.
I18n team sets target projects to be translated and prioritizes during around the Forum (renamed from the Design Summit). Current translation plan and priority are available on translation dashboard.
The terms in this page follow release schedule pages.
- [Project] Release milestone-3.
Soft StringFreezeis in effect.
- [Translator] Start translations for the release.
- Translate master version on Zanata.
- [I18n PTL] Call for translation
- [I18n PTL] Coordinate release and translation import schedule of individual projects with PTL or I18n liaison.
- [Project] Release RC1 and create a stable branch.
Hard StringFreezeis in effect.
- [Zanata admin] Create a stable version such as
- The stable version is created from the master version on Zanata once RC1 is cut and a stable branch is created in a git repository.
- Once a stable version corresponding to a project stable branch is created on Zanata, the infra script will push strings automatically.
- [Translator] Translate stable-XXXX version instead of master version
- At this stage, the master version on Zanata is still open for translations, but it is strongly suggested to work on a stable version.
- [Infra] Setup translation jobs such as
translation-jobs-newtonto import translations for stable branches.
- This should be done after a stable version on Zanata is created.
- [Translator] It is suggested to complete translation work by Monday or Tuesday of the Final RC week.
- [Project] RC2 or RC3 release will be shipped with latest translations. Final RC release will happen one week before the official release week.
- [Project] Official release!
- [Zanata admin] Merge a stable version back into the master version.
- This usually happens within a week after the release.
- The stable version is well reviewed, so it makes sense to merge translations into the master version on Zanata to avoid translating the same strings again.
- After the official release, translating master version is welcome for upstream translation contribution, but the original strings may be changed frequently due to upstream development on the projects.
- On the other hand, translating stable version as upstream contribution is not encouraged after the translated strings are packaged with releases. The stable version will be closed earlier than or around EOL.
- If there is a translation bug on a stable version in Zanata, it is highly recommended to fix the same translation bug on the corresponding string in the master version.